The core function of this role is to find, write and edit breaking news stories in a timely manner as part of a self-sufficient team. This role is unique in that the ideal candidate will have a variety of strengths -- from finding newsworthy stories, to writing them accurately, to fact-checking, to copy editing team members' written work for grammar, spelling, typos, AP and house style, etc., to story editing for comprehension and cohesion.
The ideal candidate will have strong attention to detail, a passion for the truth and a meticulous approach to the work. Moreover, he or she will be very familiar with current news and political issues so as to be able to find stories, write them and publish them.
The ideal candidate must be adept at multitasking, so as to work toward the goal of publishing up to 6 or more articles in any given day.
This is a new role on a new team that can be tailored around the ideal candidate’s strengths, as well as the strengths of the team. However, the candidate’s strengths should include the the ability to:
- Craft shareable, engaging social posts on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms to promote our stories, commentary, videos, and news
- Collaborate with editorial staff to select content for publishing on the basis of relevance, value to the reader, and timing
- Use analytics software to identify the effectiveness, engagement, and reach of social media posts both in real time and after the fact
- Identify potentially “viral” videos and other content that match our editorial goals, and curates these on our site, always keeping in mind our mission and audience
- Optimize titles for increased engagement on social media platform
- Integrate social media into the editorial process, i.e. embedding social media within published content
- Follow social trends and new platforms to help guide the comprehensive social media strategy
- Conduct research and analysis on topics and events.
- Report and comment on current events, U.S. politics, domestic and international affairs, and other relevant topics.
- Assemble statements, data and other evidence to support any claims made in the report.
- Accept feedback from the editorial team and apply new knowledge to writing for our highly engaged audience.
- Fact check ages, dates, historical events, locations, names of businesses and groups, numbers, personal quotes and attribution, titles and factual claims
- Copy edit for grammar, spelling, typos, AP and house style, etc.
- Story edit for comprehension and cohesion
- Embed media as necessary
- Review headlines and marketing copy for accuracy and spelling
- Ensure the text conforms to The Western Journal’s house style
- Participate in brainstorming and other collaborative meetings
- Assist in maintaining the editorial calendar
- Find and manipulate appropriate images to accompany articles
- A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, History, or similar field with high writing and editing requirements
- At least 3-5 years previous experience in journalism and/or politics
- Excellent written English, including good spelling and grammar
- A detailed knowledge of current events, news and politics
- A meticulous approach to work and an eye for detail
- The ability to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines
- Superior communication skills and a proven ability to collaborate
- The ability to adapt to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Proficiency in online content management tools (experience working in WordPress or directly with basic HTML a plus)
- Familiarity with The Associated Press Stylebook a plus
- Experience with social media -- especially Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter -- a plus
Where: Phoenix, Arizona. Currently TWJ is also accepting remote applicants (especially on the East Coast)
Schedule: Negotiable, but we are aiming to be a 24/7 news publication. Ability to work weekends is a plus
We value company culture and hold it to a high standard. For this reason, we try to make work a fun, relaxed, and highly productive environment. Therefore, we offer the following benefits:
- Healthcare, dental, and vision plans available for full-time employees
- Flexible PTO for full-time employees
- Volunteer PTO for full-time employees
- 401k + company match for full-time employees
- Modern 30,000 sq. ft. building with an employee lounge, game room, gym and library
- Casual work environment
- Walking distance to Anthem businesses and restaurants
- Monthly catered lunch for the office