The core function of this position is to educate readers of The Western Journal about current events and issues and how they may affect their lives. This will require, at a minimum, pitching compelling story ideas, developing sources, interviewing subject matter experts, and searching public records and other online sources, before writing each feature or longform article and then making edits as required. The main focus of this role is to pitch and develop business-related news events and stories. Additional duties will involve working with staff writers and editors to conduct general research for articles or series of articles during the writing process.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with very strong attention to detail, a passion for the truth and a meticulous approach to work. We want people who are passionate about what we stand for. The story and values and mission of Liftable Media Inc. may be found on our about page. The Ethics and Editorial Standards for The Western Journal, which this individual will be responsible for knowing and adhering closely to, may be found here.
The schedule for this position will be Monday through Friday. Some additional weekend days will be required, as are occasional later evenings for coverage of special events. Examples could be the president’s annual State of the Union address, news conferences, election coverage, etc.
This position reports directly to the managing editor.
- Write 2-4 engaging articles daily, each of 400 or more words regarding the latest business trends.
- Build a network of sources for interviews and develop relationships
- Handle information responsibly
- Fact check ages, dates, historical events, locations, names of businesses and groups, numbers, personal quotes and attribution, titles and all other factual claims
- Review statistics, including charts and graphs, used in articles
- Provide key background knowledge in reports to enhance credibility
- Participate in brainstorming and other collaborative meetings
- Conduct research into newsworthy subjects related to the topic of business as directed by the editorial staff
- Assist in maintaining editorial calendar
- Understand and abide by The Western Journal’s Ethics and Editorial Standards
- Work with the managing editor to issue corrections and clarifications as necessary
- Represent The Western Journal professionally in all instances, including in audio and video interviews as required
- Other duties as assigned by the managing editor
- A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Government or Political Science
- Very strong written English skills, including good spelling and grammar
- Good investigative and critical thinking skills
- One or more years of experience in local or regional journalism a big plus
- Good networking skills
- Knowledge of current news and business trends
- Disciplined ability to work to deadlines and strong work ethic
- A meticulous approach to work and an eye for detail
- The ability to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines
- Strong communication skills and a proven ability to collaborate
- The ability to adapt to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Familiarity with online content management tools (WordPress or basic HTML) a plus
- Familiarity with The Associated Press Stylebook
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings as necessary
- Understanding of the values and the mission of Liftable Media, Inc. and willing to promote and uphold these both at work and with potential partners, readers, and subscribers
We value company culture and hold it to a high standard. For this reason, we try to make work a fun, relaxed, and highly productive environment. Therefore, we offer the following benefits:
- Healthcare, dental, and vision plans available for full-time employees
- Flexible PTO for full-time employees
- Volunteer PTO for full-time employees
- 401k + company match for full-time employees
- Modern 30,000 sq. ft. building with employee lounge, game room, library and gym
- Casual work environment
- Walking distance to Anthem businesses and restaurants
- Monthly catered lunch for the office