The core function of this position is to produce content that captures the attention and maximizes the engagement of users on social media. This content will be original, engaging, and on-brand. We are looking for an incredibly creative individual with strong attention to detail and a passion for current events. We want people who are passionate about what we stand for and can help us reach new audiences. The Ethics and Editorial Standards for The Western Journal may be found here.
This role will require working a Monday through Friday schedule. Occasional weekend or evening work will be required from time to time as The Western Journal offers live coverage of some events, such as presidential debates, elections, news conferences, etc.
- Oversee operation of all of The Western Journal’s social media accounts including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok.
- Create content for Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and alternative social media platforms based on assignments from the Manager of Publishing Operations.
- Monitor a variety of social media accounts to watch for clips, quotes, tweets, etc. that could go viral on WJ’s social media.
- Identify potentially viral video and clip it for use on social media platforms.
- Craft shareable and engaging captions for memes and videos for social media.
- Create memes and other graphics to share on social media.
- Create infographics based on stories published to The Western Journal’s website.
- Create Instagram reels and TikToks from clips pulled from social media.
- Coordinate with Assignment, Reporting, and Story teams to receive pitches as well as pitch potential stories.
- Work with video team to write scripts for short videos for Instagram and TikTok.
- Sometime do informational videos for Instagram and TikTok.
- Work with the Manager of Publishing Operations to set KPIs then track and report progress on KPIs.
- Stay up to date on new policies/features on platforms.
- Track analytics on a daily basis to learn how content is performing.
- Constantly look for ways to innovate and pitch ideas for growth.
- Investigate videos/claims made on social media to ensure you don’t publish false content.
- Stay up to date on social media trends.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- No vaccination requirement.
- Deep understanding of social media platform operations such as Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Facebook.
- Knowledge of Canva, Premiere Pro, and other editing software.
- Experience building audience engagement on social media.
- Exceptional Internet research skills.
- Strong knowledge of coverservative political sphere including key players, elected officials, narratives, and current events.
- Previous newsroom experience a plus.
- Previous social media marketing role a plus.
- Interest in new social media platforms and a desire for constant experimentation.
- Understanding of the values and the mission of The Western Journal and willingness to promote and uphold these both at work and with potential partners, readers, and subscribers
- Self-starter attitude.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Team player.
We value company culture and hold it to a high standard. For this reason, we try to make work a fun, relaxed, and highly productive environment. Therefore, we offer the following benefits:
- Healthcare, dental, and vision plans available for full-time employees
- Flexible PTO for full-time employees
- Volunteer PTO for full-time employees
- 401k + company match for full-time employees
- Modern 30,000 sq. ft. building with an employee lounge, game room, gym and library
- Casual work environment
- Walking distance to Anthem businesses and restaurants
- Monthly catered lunch for the office