The core function of this position is to produce written content for our audience of independent and conservative readers. We are looking for someone able to isolate an intriguing aspect of a news story and communicate it in a clear, concise manner. He or she should bring a sense of integrity and strong value system to the position. Our ideal candidate for this position will have a thorough understanding of current events and the media’s role in informing the public. Because The Western Journal publishes content seven days a week, this position requires weekend availability.
You may read more about The Western Journal here and view our Editorial Standards and Guidelines here.
How it works:
- We pick the topics for you.
- We write a headline for you
- We pick a source for you
- The source will need to be fact-checked for accuracy, of course
- You may need to find 2-3 additional sources
- You write an article of 350 or more words of original content to explain the news story.
We pay a starting price of $15 per article. Articles take our current writers between 30 minutes to an hour to do — the longer they spend writing for us daily, the faster and easier each article becomes.
- Conduct research and analysis on topics and events assigned by editorial team
- Report on current events happening in US elections, domestic and international affairs, cultural issues and other relevant topics
- Construct arguments to support truth in honest and accurate reporting
- Fact-check statements, data, evidence and other elements to support claims in reporting
- Accept feedback from story editors and apply new knowledge to writing for our highly engaged audience
- Occasional additional tasks as assigned
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Keen interest in news, current events and politics
- Ability to interact with colleagues and field contacts
- Ability to adapt to the inherent changes of an evolving and growing company
- Passion for writing and a firm grasp of grammatical structure
- Experience with WordPress or other CMS is a plus
- Experience writing for a print or online news outlet is a plus
- Knowledge of AP Style is a plus