The core function of this position is to identify articles from third-party publishers for their appropriateness for potential syndication on The Western Journal. The Associated Editor, Syndicated Content will do light editing to bring chosen articles into compliance with The Western Journal House Style and our Ethics and Editorial Standards, as necessary, as well as crafting original headlines designed to engage our audience of millions of regular readers. This position will be responsible for reviewing between 100 and 150 articles daily, choosing the best fits for The Western Journal, and publishing roughly 50-70 articles weekly.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with very strong attention to detail, a passion for the truth and a meticulous approach to work. We want people who are passionate about what we stand for. The story and values and mission of Liftable Media Inc. may be found on our about page. The Ethics and Editorial Standards for The Western Journal, which this individual will be responsible for knowing and adhering closely to, may be found here.
This is an entry-level editorial position with a flexible schedule, with some weekend work required. The typical daily schedule will be 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., but some flexibility regarding daily start and end time may be possible for the right person.
This position reports directly to the editor-in-chief.
- Review up to 150 syndicated articles per day for possible publication on The Western Journal
- Edit 10 - 15 articles per day prior to actual publication to bring them into compliance with The Western Journal House Style and Ethics and Editorial Standards
- Create and review headlines and other copy for accuracy and spelling
- Participate in brainstorming and other collaborative meetings
- Conduct research into newsworthy subjects as directed by the editorial staff
- Assist in maintaining editorial calendar
- Issue corrections and clarifications on syndicated content as necessary
- Other duties as assigned by the editor-in-chief
- A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Publishing, Rhetoric or a similar field
- Superior written English, including good spelling and grammar
- Familiarity with basic math and statistical concepts, especially fractions and percentages
- A meticulous approach to work and an eye for detail
- The ability to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines
- Strong communication skills and a proven ability to collaborate
- The ability to adapt to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Familiarity with online content management tools (experience working in WordPress or directly with basic HTML a plus)
- Familiarity with The Associated Press Stylebook a plus
- Interest in and knowledge of current events and politics a big plus
- Understanding of the values and the mission of Liftable Media, Inc. and willingness to promote and uphold these both at work and with potential partners, readers and subscribers
We value company culture and hold it to a high standard. For this reason, we try to make work a fun, relaxed, and highly productive environment. Therefore, we offer the following benefits:
- Healthcare, dental, and vision plans available for full-time employees
- Flexible PTO for full-time employees
- Volunteer PTO for full-time employees
- 401k + company match for full-time employees
- Modern 30,000 sq. ft. building with employee lounge, game room, library and gym
- Casual work environment
- Walking distance to Anthem businesses and restaurants
- Monthly catered lunch for the office