The core function of this position is to check articles for readability; proofread them for spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors; fact-check them for accuracy, and confirm that their style and format meet editorial policy before publishing for The Western Journal.
The Western Journal is the number one destination of Americans looking for relevant news and commentary often ignored by the establishment media. With an emphasis on politics and culture, we write from a distinctly conservative Christian perspective for a highly engaged audience. Fully free from the shackles of political correctness, we are committed to tracking down, reporting and explaining the truth for those Americans and others around the world who still care about truth. The Western Journal is a subsidiary of Liftable Media Inc.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with strong attention to detail, a passion for the truth and a meticulous approach to the work. We want people who are passionate about what we stand for. The story and values and mission of Liftable Media may be found on our about page. The Ethics and Editorial Standards for The Western Journal, which this individual will be responsible for knowing and adhering closely to, may be found here.
The schedule for this position would be standard business hours Friday - Tuesday with Tuesday and Wednesday off; Thursday - Monday with Tuesday and Wednesday off; or Saturday - Wednesday with Thursday and Friday off. Some flexibility regarding daily start time is possible.
- Review 16-20 stories per day, averaging 400-800 words each
- Fact check ages, dates, historical events, locations, names of businesses and groups, numbers, personal quotes and attribution, titles and factual claims
- Copy edit for grammar, spelling, typos, AP and house style, etc.
- Story edit for comprehension and cohesion
- Embed media as necessary
- Review headlines and marketing copy for accuracy and spelling
- Ensure the text conforms to The Western Journal’s house style
- Participate in brainstorming and other collaborative meetings
- Assist in maintaining the editorial calendar
- Find and manipulate appropriate images to accompany articles
- Provide regular constructive feedback to writers
- A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, History, or similar field with high writing and editing requirements
- Previous experience in copy editing
- Excellent written English, including good spelling and grammar
- A meticulous approach to work and an eye for detail
- The ability to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines
- Superior communication skills and a proven ability to collaborate
- The ability to adapt to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Proficiency in online content management tools (experience working in WordPress or directly with basic HTML a plus)
- Familiarity with The Associated Press Stylebook a plus
- Interest in and knowledge of current events, news and politics a big plus
- Experience with social media -- especially Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter -- a plus
- Ability to work every weekend
- Understanding of the values and the mission of Liftable Media, Inc. and willing to promote and uphold these both at work and with potential partners, readers, and subscribers
We value company culture and hold it to a high standard. For this reason, we try to make work a fun, relaxed, and highly productive environment. Therefore, we offer the following benefits:
- Modern 30,000 sq. ft. building with an employee lounge, game room, and library
- Casual work environment
- Walking distance to Anthem businesses and restaurants
- Monthly catered lunch for the office
The Story and Values and Mission of Liftable Media may be found on our about page. You can read about some of our past interns' experiences on our blog.